Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Letter from Leesburg June 20 1863

In Camp near Leesburg, Va June 20
Friend Sallie,

Often have I thought of penning a few lines to you but the duties of the soldier life are so very numerous that whenever I thought of doing so duty called me elsewhere, hoping you will excuse me I will not endeavor to make amend for my former negligence. The day was a remarkably fine one and for the first time since I bid adieu to old Pennsylvania had I the pleasure of listening to the sweet and heavenly music of the Sabbath bell. You who live in the old Keystone State cannot imagine the desolation that on every hand meets the eye. Scarcely any person is to be seen and I never in all my life seen such wretched looking people. The female portion of them indeed present a sorrowful aspect. They are pale and hagard life to them seems to be anything but a pleasant one. Yesterday I witnessed a very heart rending sight. Three deserters belonging to the first Division of our corps were shot one of them was a married man and had a wife and five children. They were brought into the field in an ambulance seated upon their coffins. They had their eyes tied shut—and their hands were [pinioned?] behind their backs. Six men stood before each one of them with loaded rifles at the word fire the guns were fired together and three human souls were launched into eternity. Today there was a very heavy battle fought in the direction of Snickers Gap. The cannons can be distinctly heard here where we lay and we have orders to be ready with fourty rounds of cartridges in case our men should need reinforcement. But now the firing sounds farther from us and there is a report current here that the rebs have been driven four miles. Our boys are all well with few exceptions. Uria Hafley is not with the company at present we left him in the Hospital at Aquia Landing and have not heard from him since. Give my respects to the two Miss Stanfers likewise to your family reserve a full share for yourself. Excuse writing as it is done on my knapsack When you answer direct J.A. Lumbard Co G 147 Pa 1 st Brig. 2 nd Div. 12 th [AC?] Washington DC



Thanks to researcher Carol Tsang for sharing these letters with me!

Read an overview of JA's life and find his genealogy here:

No comments:

Post a Comment