Friday, March 6, 2015

Letter from Near Ellis Ford, Summer of 1863


Transcription of letter from J. A. Lumbard
Near Ellis Ford 1863 Summer

Camp of 147th Pa
Near Ellis Ford ca[?]

Friend Sallie,
Your very welcome and long looked for letter at length arrived. I had almost thought that I was forgotten but I am very glad to find that I was slightly mistaken on this subject. Since my last letter to you I have taken part in a hard fought battle and was slightly wounded in the head but I am very happy to state that it was only a slight scratch though it caused the blood to flow quite freely and caused me considerable suffering.
When this cruel war is over I hope we may be permitted to see each other and speak face to face. The poor soldier will be able to tell a tale of suffering and adventures that will make the bravest heart turn pale. Many are the times that I think of the many happy hours that I passed seated on the bench in front of the old “Union House.” But they are past never perhaps to be re-called but I trust for the best. We poor soldiers are out here in the field exposed to all kinds of dangers and privations at one time suffering hunger at another time thirst and then perhaps both to add hard and long marching through a hot mid-summer sun. Before the hard fought fight at Gettysburg we marched a distance of three hundred miles in 20 days. When we fought the entire Rebel army and put him to rout and then turned round and marched to our present camp. I am very well pleased with a soldier's life and must say that it agrees very well with me. I have not missed one days duty nor taken one grain of medicine since I left old Selinsgrove. I am fat and hearty. I would very much like to see you friend Sallie and have a few hours of conversation with you I hope the time is not far distant when we shall be victorious and the Rebels will be forced to acknowledge that we are the victors and that their case is hopeless. But not until then would I be willing to return Sallie you should just be here to see us get our victuals we will all turn out to be good cooks and also very fond of our cup of coffee. A soldier drinks three quarts of coffee per day regular and in many cases one gallon will not satisfy his thirst. Coffee is the greatest part of his diet. I must bring my letter to a close as the mail leaves immediately. Answer as soon as possible. With a heartly good-bye and a wish for your future welfare I remain your soldier friend
Joseph A. Lumbard
Direct as before
Co. G 147th [Pa V?] 1st Brig 2nd Div 12th Army Corp Washington, DC






Thanks to researcher Carol Tsang for sharing these letters with me!

Read an overview of JA's life and find his genealogy here:

No comments:

Post a Comment